Saturday, December 13, 2008

Presidential Reality

I didn't actually hear the entire speech. In fact, I didn't even know Mr. Bush had spoken at a commencement on Friday (or that there was a self-respecting school on the planet that would want him) until I found this little quote on a friend's blog.

And I immediately thought, "This explains a lot." And it is more than a little disturbing, coming out of the mouth of the man who has been the Leader of the Free World for the past eight years:

"Remember that popularity is as fleeting as the Texas wind. Character and conscience are as sturdy as the oaks on this campus. If you go home at night, look in the mirror and be satisfied that you have done what is right, you will pass the only test that matters."
-- President George W. Bush, from his commencement address Friday at Texas A&M

Isn't this just a fancy and inspiring way of saying, "Choose your own reality?" To hell with truth, justice, and everyone else in the world. As long as YOU can live with what you've done, that's all that matters.

Evidently, Mr. Bush wants everyone to rest assured that he will be able to sleep like a baby every night in his approaching retirement. I'm SO reassured…aren't you?

2 comments:

sunflowerkat said...

Wow...

I saw a little blurb about the commencement address on the news, but I didn't hear THAT soundbite. All I can do is shake my head in disbelief.

JACKIE said...

Just about what you'd expect from the plucked duck empty suit that's still hanging his battered hat at 1600 Pennslvania Ave. As for me, picture the t'd off bull after Bugs gets finished "irritating" him. Or a whistiling tea kettle at full boil.