Saturday, August 8, 2009

toot, toot, tootsie...

Reading the NY Times style section, I came across an article on feet. Apparently, a majority of women in the US hate their feet. Huh?

I remember in the 60's there was an ad for an exfoliant foot cream that showed a woman, apparently nude, sitting with her arms and legs crossed strategically, that read: What's the ugliest part of your body? Whoa, I found the ad on Google images; you can see for yourself:

The first time I saw that ad, I have to admit, "feet" did not come to mind...

According to the article, so many women hate their feet that there are apparently "I hate feet" groups on Facebook! Sheesh! I'm not sure why, but I've always liked my feet, and I've always taken better care of them than I have of my hands. Admittedly I now spend 9 months of the year in open toed sandals, but even when I lived in the frozen north and wore socks for 9 months a year, I gave myself regular pedicures. I read the comments posted on the NY Times article, and there were the usual killjoys, upset and critical that anyone would spend time or money having a pedicure, yada yada yada, whining that feet are purely functional. Yeah, but so are teeth, and yet most of us brush and floss daily and see a dentist a couple of times a year. Years ago I had a neighbor who loved to harass me about the fact that I colored my hair, while she'd allowed herself to go grey. One day I'd had enough and pointed out that she permed her hair on a regular basis, so really, although we were doing different things to achieve it, both of us were changing what nature had given us, in an attempt to improve our appearance. Having well groomed feet is more than just a matter of personal style, though. Ask any diabetic, or anyone caring for a diabetic, about the importance of taking care of their feet.

I've always liked my feet, and at 59, I still like 'em!




8 comments:

Lisa :-] said...

Despite the fact that I have abused them sorely for 36 years of mashing them onto concrete floors for 8-14 hours a day... I think my feet are the best-looking part of my body.

And pedicures? Love, love, LOVE 'em...

emmapeelDallas said...

:)

Ah, a kindred spirit!

Kathy said...

We're are kindred spirits all. I have a similar pedicure/lacquer just now and not only do I get regular pedicures, I bring the girls along. There's just something so good about ... caring for your feet.

emmapeelDallas said...

I agree, Kathy! It's good for the HEAD as well as for the feet...and I love to treat my daughters to a pedicure, and I've event treated one of my sons-in-law, who loved it too!

:)

krissy knox said...

I love my feet!

krissy knox :)
my main blog: Sometimes I Think
http://sometimesithink-krissy.blogspot.com

please add your blog to our directory of blogs: from jland to blogger
http://fromjlandtoblogger.blogspot.com

follow me on twitter:
http://twitter.com/iamkrissy
@iamkrissy

sunflowerkat said...

I like my feet too! I'm going to guess that most women don't like their feet because they abuse them with shoes that torture and disfigure them. I don't get pedicures (I can't stand to have my feet touched) but my regular footwear is sneakers and socks. My feet are protected and have room to maintain their natural shape. When I do wear open toed shoes, I dab on a little polish and I think my feet look great!

Anne said...

I like my feet too. It is very important to take care of them. I go for regular pedicures and feel like a new woman when I am finished. If you can't walk, you can't function. Did you know that medicare doesn't pay for foot care? Now that is stupid. Anne

emmapeelDallas said...

I did not know that Medicare doesn't pay for foot care. Considering that toenails thicken with age, and the elderly often are unable to keep their toenails trimmed, which can lead to ingrown nails, etc., that's insane!