Thursday, March 25, 2010

THANK YOU LISA

You are a treasure. God, the Universe, pure dumb luck didn't see fit to bless me with brothers. I did luck out in the brother in law department. I had two, now I have one.

We don't know the how, only that Rick knew his candle might be a little shorter than he'd anticipated. Sis hasn't shared the details yet. He'd had some health problems over the years and a hospitalization three or four years ago. Something was causing meningitis like symptoms but, big but here, the condtion resolved itself, apparently. I guess we'll know more after this weekend.

Rick was a very private person in many ways. He was a nut. He was a good teacher. He'd do almost anything to psyche the kids up. I know he let them shave his head as a reward for acing the careers class and I've heard rumors about appearing in public in a purple tutu.

But, right now I'm remembering the skinny, funny, ed student with the red and white VW bus who was sweet on my sister.

And right now I'm torn between understanding why he'd keep the information to himself and wanting to kick his ass for denying the rest of us the opportunity to help him carry the load.

5 comments:

marigolds2 said...

Oh my. I understand all too well. I lost one of my two brothers-in-law just about two years ago now, and it is a loss the whole family still keenly feels. I know the hole this loss leaves in your family, and my heartfelt sympathies are with you now.

Kathy said...

Offering sympathy to you and your family as you say goodbye to your brother-in-law.

emmapeelDallas said...

What a wonderful tribute. I'm thinking of you.

Cynthia said...

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Your brother-in-law sounds like he was quite a man.

JACKIE said...

Thnanks to you all, for your good thoughts and prayers. We're just taking it one day at a time.