Thursday, October 23, 2008

Are We There Yet???

This afternoon, I was sitting in front of my manicurist, in the salon across the street from the café. She was tending two of my acrylic nails that had begun to lift off (could this have something to do with the fact that I cannot keep my hands out of water for more than five minutes on any given day?)

A commercial came on the radio that started out, “Are you beginning to tire of all the political messages…?”

Manicurist and I looked each other in the eye and declared at the same time, “Hell yes!”

I’m done. I’ve had it. I don’t want to hear any more about how much the RNC has spent on Sarah Palin’s clothes, or about the Obama-bashing robo-calls targeting voters in key states, or about how John McCain is making a last-ditch effort to save his campaign by finally coming out strongly against the Bush Administration.

I don’t want to hear about Congressional Republicans trying to pin our current economic mess on Barack Obama (WTF!!??!?!?). Or about how McCain is planning to concentrate all of his advertising money into Florida, Ohio and other “purple” states possessing large numbers of electoral votes, in an effort to carry the election even in the (likely) event that he does not win the popular vote.

I don’t want to hear about how our local kids are going to go to hell in a handbasket if I don’t vote myself a $400 per year property tax increase so the school district can level our existing school buildings and build new ones.

I just want to vote and get it over with.

So, on my day off (Sunday) I’m going to sit down with my ballot and my Voter’s Information Pamphlet and do the deed.

And try to stay away from the television, radio and all other forms of hyperbolic media for the 9 remaining days of the campaign.

I’ve been thinking about building that lead-lined bomb-shelter under the house to use for just such occasions…

5 comments:

JACKIE said...

We did the dirty Wednesday night. Mom dropped off the ballots Thursday morning. You'll find me in the corner; eyes closed, fingers in my ears and humming really, really loud.

sunflowerkat said...

We don't have early voting here in NY...and I sure wish we did. I know how I'm going to vote, so why do I need to wait until THE day, then stand in line for (perhaps) hours. That's my one worry...that voters will get frustrated with the lines and think "Barack's got it...my vote won't matter".

Kathy said...

We don't have early voting here ... only early absentee voting by mail or at Town Hall in the clerk's office.

I wish I could just e-mail my vote in ...

emmapeelDallas said...

May I join you in it?

Dannelle said...

Blood pressure goes down after you make it offical! Dannelle