Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Lies, damned lies, and the internet...

I'm home sick. I'm REALLY sick. Upper respiratory crud with headache, cough, chills, and fever, 'nuff said.

So I was really in no mood for a *$*#*@! "helpful" email that turned up in my inbox today, bashing Obama, purportedly giving the "real" story on his visit to Afghanistan, supposedly from a soldier serving in Afghanistan. The jist of the drivel was that Obama
"shunned the opportunity to talk to Soldiers to thank them for their service" and "really he was just here to make a showing for the American's [sic] back home that he is their candidate for President". The writer finished by saying, "I just don't understand how anyone would want him to be our Commander-and-Chief [sic]". Uh-huh. That may be the only honest statement in the email. And while I'm at it, for what it's worth, Article Two of the Constitution establishes the President as commander-IN-chief of the armed forces, not commander-AND-chief. The icing on the cake was an Einstein quote at the bottom of the email: 'The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who do nothing about them'.

Rrrrrrriiiiiiiggggggghhhhhhhttttttt.

Not wanting to be included in that group,
I considered it my civic duty to find theSnopes article pointing out that the report is false and totally outrageous, part of a chain email campaign smearing Obama. The Snopes article is accompanied by photos (one of which I've included here) and a video that belie the accusations.







I cut and pasted the link, witha note asking people to please check it out before disseminating the misinformation any further, and hit
"Reply All". And if that ticks people off...well, frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did I say just a little while ago that it seemed like the campaign was less snarky this time around?  Ugh!

At least it doesn't SEEM to be emanating from the candidates themselves.  

If you read any of the "comments" on AOL newspages, or, God forbid, go to the message boards, you will see that the internet is largely populated by insane, ignorant assholes.  I find it hard to believe that they can get their knuckles far enough off the ground to to use a keyboard...  

Unfortunately, they vote.

Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

I had a little light bulb click on in my head the other day ... I keep wondering if the Bush/Repub supporters that complain of the price of this and the cost of that and the war and the state of everything ... 'cause they do ... why then do they plan on voting, yet again for a Republican?  

It just doesn't make sense to me.  I guess it must be something along the line of a sportsfan whose loyalty is sometimes over the top.  

Just a simple thought from a simple (not minded) girl.  ;)

Anonymous said...

What can you expect. McCain has the techno savvy of a houseplant, all the charm of bowl of cold oatmeal, and was dumb enough to appear in a photo op with the "shrub." I guess the Swift boaters have to do SOMETHING.

Jackie