Thursday, September 11, 2008

JUST A SUGGESTION

This is a lunch hour quickie

I’m going to make a couple suggestions. First up I don’t equate political parties with the Sabbath. But, both were made for man, not the other way around.

So first up. If you don’t support the official candidate of either party, cast a write in ballot for the person you believe can do the job. I don’t care if it’s Ron Paul, Ralph Nader, Mitt Romney or Hillary Clinton. Follow your beliefs about who would be the best leader for the country. The candidate you believe in may not get elected but your vote still earns you right to holler about the outcome. Collect enough votes for the unofficial candidates and the parties will have to take notice. Where there is one, there is a majority of one. We all have a right to have our choice on record whether it matches the other majorities of one or not.

Second, contact your local legislator and your representatives in congress. It’s way past time to amend the constitution to allow electoral votes to be allotted by proportional vote instead of the all or nothing system we have now.

I’m not sure how I feel about abolishing the Electoral College. The Founders weren’t too big on allowing the “mob” to have too large a voice in the government. Women and many men didn’t have the vote back in 1787 and it took the seventeenth amendment to the Constitution to allow the direct election of Senator. The first election took place in 1914 folks.

Any thoughts about allotting votes by proportion of popular votes vs. outright abolition of the Electoral College?

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The popular vote needs to be the measure by which all our representatives are elected.  I feel the same way about the delegate/super delegate system.  I'd love to see the popular vote become the way we elect our party nominees and our president.  But even a modification to awarding the electoral votes proportionally would be an improvement over what we have now.  Somehow we need to guarantee that the voice of the majority is the deciding factor.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, my friend.  I can't agree with the write-your-candidate-in thing.  Not this time around.  There is too much at stake.  It could very well be that the candidate I loathe will carry the day, but if we fragment the vote with everybody voting for whoever, there's a lot bigger that the change we all crave will not come to pass this time around.  

I wrote about my feelings on the electoral college in 2004.  It's particularly frustrating for me to live in Oregon; with its seven electoral votes about which no candidate gives a rat's ass, I really do feel my vote doesn't count. But I'm going to vote anyway, dammit.  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with Lisa.  There's too much at stake to do anything but vote for Obama.

Judi